How does a Citizens’ Assembly work?
1. Once the participants are selected (by democratic lottery) they assemble in one place, as fellow citizens, to meet face-to-face.
2. Next, with the help of relevant experts and stakeholders, they study the issue until they have a comprehensive and deep understanding of it.
3. Then, they meet in small groups, moderated by a neutral facilitator, to learn from each other, deliberate, listen, talk, and exchange ideas.
4. The full assembly gathers together to discuss what has been learned in the small groups so that ideas can be diffused throughout the entire membership.
5. process repeats until a consensus emerges and a decision is made